Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Lesion on forearm, swollen, leaking pus and fluid. Is it a cyst?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5138 Questions
i have a lesion on my forearm i have been having for awile this morning it swole up
pus and fluid came out i would like to know is it a cyst
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

I understand your concern for this problem that you are facing.

I have reviewed your attachment of the photo of the lesion.

Kindly do answer a few questions for me to be in a better position to help you.

Are you a diabetic ?

Have you had similar lesion as this on your upper back ?

The lesions appears to be that of severe folliculitis or infection of the hair follicle or it could be a collection of few folliculitis lesions called a carbuncle. Carbuncles are commonly seen in diabetic patients, so kindly do get checked for this.

The lesions appears to be highly inflammed and ruptured this exuding pus and debris. You will need medical attention for this lesions to prevent spread of infection to the rest of your forearm and hand.

Presently you may apply antibiotic ointment like Fucidin which may facilitate healing, once the lesion is cleaned and debrided well.

Kindly do not hesitate or delay. It definitely needs medical attention. You may seek help at an Emergency Department or your Dermatologist for proper care.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Lesion on forearm, swollen, leaking pus and fluid. Is it a cyst? 9 hours later
no im not diabetic last time i had a check up didn't show anything
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

Do follow the instructions as mentioned for best results. Keep the infected area clean and dry. Avoid trauma or pressure to that area as well.

You may try applying antibiotic ointment as suggested but it would be best to consult a Dermatologist or Surgeon to evaluate your condition and decide management options which may need wound debridement to facilitate proper healing with minimal repercussions.

Wishing speedy recovery.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor