Joint pain started after c-section. Could it be due to hormonal change?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Women's Health
Question: My wife is post 4 months c-section; 2 weeks back joints pain started. Specially in wrist joint and shoulders. she never felt these pains in her life time even during her pregnancy. She in only 26. Is there some deficiency or some hormonal changes. Please suggest what to do.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
During pregnancy some amount of calcium deficiency is always there.Hence calcium supplements are advised.But apart from that,there is no direct reason for joint pain after a C-Section.She can take calcium supplements daily for 3 months.However,with increasing pain, further tests for uric acid,rheumatoid arthritis etc should be done to rule out such problems.An xray of the wrist joint/shoulder joint also should be done.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
Thanks Dr. for the quick reply.
Can u please suggest some names,salt or brand for calcium supplements.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 9 minutes later
There are several brands available.
Tablets SHELCAL-500/CALCIMAX-500,ACUCAL-500.
1 TAB a day for 3 months.
If deficiency is the cause she should feel better withing a month.
If not,other causes of pain like gout,rheumatoid arthritis etc should be ruled out.