Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Itching on whole body and penis. What may be the problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2609 Questions
Hello sir,i have problem of itching on whole body,especially on skin of penis.i am using scarab lotion for body,and Neo Clobinate GM for penis as suggested by a medical shop specialist.i have n't went to any doctor yet.But there was no good result by using these.So what can i do?.Mainly on my penis the skin became dry,broken and black spots on it and it is itching a lot,some times i feel itching inside the skin of penis,and some times i feel like it is burning,and fore skin of penis is also very much itching.what may be the problem? Is there any serious problem long run?what can i do now? please tell me your suggestions. If it is needed i can visit doctor,but which doctor do i need to consult,i mean skin specialist or any separate specialists are there for this type of problems?please tell me your suggestions which medicines to use etc.,thank you sir.
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Scabies, Take proper treatment Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I understand your concern and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now from the description that you have provided, you seem to be affected with scabies. Scabies is a skin condition in which there is infection of the skin caused by a mite. Now first of all, it is important to know if there is a family history of similar condition or itching since this is a contagious skin condition. Treatment of this condition includes application of an antiscabicide. The one you have used(Scrab) is correct but proper and adequate application is very essential. You need to first take bath at night and wipe the body with a towel . Then apply the whole bottle of medication below the neck all over the body including the genitals. Leave it on the body overnight. Take bath again in the morning. From next day, start application of a steroid cream only over the affected areas twice a day for atleast 7 to 10 days. In addition, you might need to take oral antihistamines to relieve the itching. If there is any other contact or family member who is also having itching or similar skin problem, that person also needs to be treated in order to prevent recurrence. Also all the clothing and bedding has to be disinfected. For this, you will need to wash them all in warm water and then dry them in direct sunlight. This will help in killing any mites present in clothes. Itching in your case can take 2 to 3 weeks for complete relief. If inspite of the above management, there is persistence of the skin problem, then you can consult a nearby skin specialist. Hope it helps. If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Itching on whole body and penis. What may be the problem? 2 hours later
Thank you for quick reply Ma'am.I felt very happy by the suggestions you gave me,despite of those i have some more queries,could you please spend time on answering these. 1.Ma'am you told that,treatment of this condition include what can i do for this?do i need to buy any lotion with ANTISCABICIDE,then could you please tell me the name of the lotion and when to apply?or SCRAB which i using now for body is enough? Ma'am but when i started using scrab to whole body(except neck and face)i felt it was working,but while i stop using this ,it again started itching after 2 days.but the same lotion i used for genital part,and next morning i washed it with hot water(which is mixed with dettol liquid)from the next day i felt it increased the itching, dryness and broken skin to the skin of that part.And it started black dry dead skin layer is coming out on that part with black colour layer which seems like the skin is boiled because of hot water,it creating more problem.still i am feeling very disturbance and i can't concentrate on studies because of this.could you please tell me a better solution to get rid of this? told that,after applying scrab,next morning after bath i have to apply STEROID CREAM,could you please tell me the name of that steroid cream,because i can ask the same in medical shop directly with out any problem.and can i apply this steroid cream on genital part? told that,i need to take ORAL ANTIHISTAMINES to relieve the itching,so could you please tell me in detail of this ,including with the name of the medicine? 4.could you suggest me any soap for bathing,which can also useful for me in this case.present i am using savlon soap,before this i used lifeboy.but there is no good result in my case.and can i apply the soap on genital part? Ma'am there is no family history of similar condition,and also i am washing all my clothes in hot water and i dried them in direct sun light. Ma'am i have only one another chance to ask you my queries,because i have used the 2 chances including could you please clear all doubts what i mentioned in this message.and if you don't mind could you please give any contact number of your that i can inform the result after 2 or 3 weeks,so that you can suggest me the further step based on the result. Thank you very much Ma'am.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Scabies proper treatment Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Firstly do not be panicky. I understand that you are quite stressed because of your skin condition and it is quite natural also. But I assure you that with proper and adequate treatment, you will be relieved soon. Now your skin problem is simply that of scabies. You seem to have developed an allergic reaction over your genitals due to application of savlon. You should never use savlon, dettol or any soaps containing these agents over your genitals. Please take care in future. Now first, we need to take care of the reaction that you have developed. For this , you will need to take oral antihistamines.Something like cetrizine is useful when taken once a day. Topically you need to apply a topical steroid cream. If you see in market, something like betnovate is easily available. Once the reaction over the genitals clears up, which might take 3-4 days,then you will need to apply a topical scabicide lotion over your body. I usually recommend 5 % permethrin containing lotions like permite. You should apply the whole bottle together at night all over the body below neck including the genitals( once the allergy heals up totally). Remember, this lotion is not to be repeated. Apply it completely once only. From next day morning, you can use the steroid cream mentioned before over the skin lesions twice daily. Now the itching in scabies and the genital lesions can easily take upto 4 weeks for complete healing. So you need to be patient. You can repeat application of scabicide lotion after one week . As far as the soap is concerned, you can use any normal soap but avoid using dettol or savlon containing soaps as these can increase itching. You can use the soap all over your body . Hope it helps, If you have any other query, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Itching on whole body and penis. What may be the problem? 2 days later
Hi ma'am,i am using the medicines what you prescribed. 1.Ma'am you told me to use oral antihistamine CETRIZINE,i am using this tablet daily after dinner,but for how many days i have to continue these tablets(CETRIZINE)? 2.I told you that on genital part,the skin is looking like it was burned ,and it became black thick deadly skin,so for this do i need to use any other cream or the topical steroid cream BETNOVATE what you suggested before for genital part is enough? And thanks a lot ma'am,Before consulting you i had a type fear in me,really now i got confidence that definitely i will get out of the disease what i got,very soon.And ma'am the way you respond to patient is very good ma'am,really you deserve the post which you have,and i am sure that definitely you have a bright future.I am very lucky to take suggestions from you,you gave me the response more than i expected from you.I thought online doctor means,there is no perfect communication between doctor and patient,but you prove me wrong in this.Thank you very much ma'am,and thanks to Health care Magic.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Scabies : Take proper treatment Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX As far as cetrizine is concerned, you will have to continue it till the time you have itching. Taking one tablet at bedtime is good enough. As far as the genitals are concerned, you can apply something like candid b cream which is a combination of a steroid and an antifungal since you have developed an allergic reaction over the genitals. This will help in treating any superadded fungal infection as well if there is any. And I am pretty sure that if you follow the treatment as advised, it will be helpful to u. Take care, Wishing you speedy recovery. Dr Geetika Paul.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor