Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Is there an alternative to mirena treatment other than surgery?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
I have fibroids which have resulted in heavy bleeding. I am 53 and contraceptives is not recommended but I was placed on microgynon for 6 mths. My doctor will review the level of bleeding without the pill in January and is recommending a mirena for about 2 years at which time he thinks I should experience menopause. I have always been told I have a bulky uterus. Is a mirena an appropriate treatment or are there other recommended treatments besides surgery?
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MIRENA CAN BE USED BUT NEED MONITORING. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. First of all, your uterus is quite bulky (size of 16 weeks) with multiple fibroids (9 in number) and you are presenting with heavy bleeding at 53 years age. In this circumstance, best and definite treatment option is TOTAL ABDOMINAL HYSTERECTOMY with removal of both sided ovaries and fallopian tubes (TAH + BSO). It is the gold standard procedure at this stage and age group. Uterine artery embolization, radio frequency ablation etc are the other option. However, only PROGESTERONE therapy (no combination) can be tried initially in the form of pill or IUD (like MIRENA) to regress fibroid and control bleeding. You need periodic follow-up and overall assessment until bleeding is controlled. OTHER MEDICAL THERAPY: 1) GnRH Agonist (like Goserelin) 2) Anti Progesterone (like Mifepristone) 3) Aromatase Inhibitors are very much effective in reducing size of the fibroid along with symptoms. These group of drugs should be continued for 3-6 months duration for effective results. Tranexamic acid is quite useful to control bleeding in combination with any above group of drugs. There may be some tolerable side effects. SUGGESTION : MIRENA can be used in your case to arrest bleeding. However, in the failed case or late menopause, you have to go for definite treatment as mentioned above. Kindly, consult with your GYNECOLOGIST regarding this for proper management. In the mean time, you would take healthy diet with IRON & CALCIUM supplement and maintain genital hygiene properly. Hope, it will be helpful for your information and understanding. Let me know, if you need clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is there an alternative to mirena treatment other than surgery? 11 hours later
I forgot to mention that I am hypertensive which is well controlled with norvasc 10 mg tabs. WOuld this affect any of the suggested treatment?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: TREATMENT WILL BE SAME AS BP IS CONTROLLED. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Above said treatment protocol will be same for you as your BP is well controlled at present. Kindly, consult with your doctor for proper guidance. Hope, I have guided you properly. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is there an alternative to mirena treatment other than surgery? 36 minutes later
Thanks so much for your assistance. Much appreciated.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 minute later
Brief Answer: MOST WELCOME. Detailed Answer: You are most welcome in Healthcare Magic platform. Kindly, close the discussion. Regards, Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor