Is there a connection between being underweight and night sweats?
Underweight is defined as a BMI (body mass index) of less than 18. BMI is calculated by dividing the weight in KG by the height in m (with the height value squared).
Night sweats can have different causes such as:
infections- infections can result in night sweats, the infections, if severe or untreated, can also be associated with a decrease in weight. Tuberculosis is the infection most commonly associated with night sweats.
Some cancers can also be associated with night sweats and weight loss - examples lymphomas
There are hormonal conditions that can also be associated with both of these symptoms.
A diagnosis of the exact cause of the symptoms can be made by a thorough history and examination by a doctor. In addition blood tests will have to be done- these would include a full blood count (can diagnose infection and give an indication of some cancers ), ESR- this is a non specific marker for inflammation in the body- it does not say where the problem is, just that there is a problem that needs further investigation, electrolytes, hormonal levels.
If possible, you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment
I hope this helps , feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Night sweat between my legs
- Pinched nerve night sweats
- Night sweats and fatty liver
- Night sweats and pain between shoulder blades
- Underweight night sweats chest
- Night sweats and underweight
- Underweight night sweats losing more weight fatigue symptoms of hiv
- Underweight and spotting between periods
- Night sweats rheumatoid arthritis
- Underweight night sweats nightmares
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...