Is surgery advisable for intestinal tumour?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I am 78yrs old and was diagnos with a tumour in my intestine and it is bleeding. Have lost a lot of weight. Surgery is suggested but is aware of the healing process at this age. Are there any alternative treatment and what should my eating habits should be at this time?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tumor needs to biopsied

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been found to have an intestinal tumor but because of your age they do not want to do surgery. If your are otherwise healthy then there is no reason not to have the surgery. At the very least you should have a biopsy of the tumor to determine if it is malignant or benign. You can discuss this with your doctor and if you are not satisfied with their answer find another doctor. This is your health and you are your best advocate.

If your tumor is benign then just live with it. There are no diets that help reduce or treat tumors of the colon.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions.