Is smoking Marijuana advisable after cardiac ablation for atrial fibrillation?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had a catheter ablation last year to take care of my PVCs for a year now I haven't had any issues and I been feeling healthy overall. Is it safe to start smoking marijuana I'm still in my early 20s.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Strict no for Smoking or any form of tobacco.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.
Smoking increases the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, which includes coronary heart disease and stroke. Smoking damages the lining of your arteries, leading to a build up of fatty material (atheroma) which narrows the artery. This can cause angina, a heart attack or a stroke.Reduces the amount of oxygen that reaches the body's tissues. Increases risk for blood clots. Damages blood vessels. Doubles the risk of stroke (reduced blood flow to the brain).Research has shown that smoking increases heart rate, tightens major arteries, and can cause an irregular heart rhythm, all of which make your heart work harder.

So No don't smoke.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist