Is shoulder surgery safe to have post heart surgery?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi,

My father has undergone heart surgery 4 years back in which he had two stunts in his heart. I would like to know can he undergo for any other surgery for exp shoulder broken bone surgery. Few doctor informed him that he should not undergo any surgery now. He is taking blood thineer tablet on daily basis as suggested by heart Dr.
This time he has shoulder bone fracture on left hand which is very close to heart. We are afraid to take any risk of surgery. Please suggest us.

Thanks
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The risk should be evaluated...

Detailed Answer:

Orthopedic surgeries that involves use of general anaesthesia is associated with certain risks. Those risks are evaluated by the consulting anaesthesiologist, cardiologist and physician. Based on the details provided, a physician online will not be the apt person to recognize the risks.

In general a person above 70 years with an ill heart is marked as moderate to high risks for general anaesthesia. You can take his reports to an anaesthetist and take his opinion. If he is deemed fit, he can take up surgery after the blood thinners are stopped for a week.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.