Is rabies vaccination required after being scratched by a dog?
Chance will be very less
Welcome to HCM
Are you sure dog died of rabies? If there is any suspicion, rabies in dog should be diagnosed by identifying the negri bodies in the brain of the dead dog.
Whether it was done , dog may have died of other reasons. Usually the rabies in dog will manifest in 10 days. Therefore i do not suspect the dog to be rabid.
The vaccine has helped you in inducing protective antibody titres against rabies virus.
Scratch without bleeding chances will be near 0%
As you had scratch without bleeding it suggests that there was no breach in the skin and there is no contact of saliva of dog with the blood.
If there is no contact between blood and the saliva the chance of getting rabies will be mere 0%.
Before appearance of any clinical signs dogs will not transmit rabies virus. In your case nothing to worry about this and dog was healthy for 10 days. Dog might have developed the disease after your episode of scratch.
Antibodies can sustained for at least 3 years
Welcome to HCM,
If there is a breach in the skin it will definitely bleeds, as there was no bleeding it suggest that there was there breach.
If there is break in the skin there may be chance of virus entering the blood stream and may produce the disease.
No, there should be adequate viral load in the saliva to produce the disease.
Dog can transmit the rabies if it has symptoms of virus and the virus in the saliva.
Antibodies can sustained for at least 3 years.
Starting anti rabies vaccine after a month of exposure will help to protect you for future episodes not for the present one.
Incubation period ranges from 2 weeks to 6 months
Incubation period of rabies in human beings ranges from 2 weeks to 6 months but in animals it is usually 10 days.
As the dog has died 24 days after the episode the chance of transmitting the rabies is very negligible.
As i have explained in my previous query the chance of virus entering the intact skin is not possible, so through minor scratch it is very very less.
As you are so scared you can undergo rabies virus neutralizing antibody titres (RvNab), which will help you to know your protective titres. This test can be done in good microbiology labs.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Alcohol after rabies vaccine
- Rabies vaccine for dogs and lactation
- After effects of rabies vaccine
- Should i take rabies vaccination for the scratching by dog
- Smoke after rabie vaccine
- After taking rabies vaccine a dog bites again
- Numbness after rabies vaccine
- Does a dog scratch require anti rabies vaccination
- Is repeat of anti rabies vaccination required for cat scratch
- Diet after rabies vaccination
- Is a greenish skin color near injury sign of gangrene?
- What causes throat pain after having sex?
- What causes high WBC count and negative HIV result?
- What causes bumps at the site of dog bite?
- Is CMIA method of HIV testing accurate?
- Is a 20 week HBV and HCV test result conclusive?
- Suggest OTC medicine for gonorrhea
- What does my typhoid widal test report suggest?
- What are the chances of HIV transmission through oral sex?
- How long does Lamisil take to have an effect on ringworm?