How long is rabies postexposure prophylaxis effective?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had tabies post exposure shots plus hrig started in july eneded in august

Am i protected for an accidental exposure

How long

I keep having weird things happen like running over an animal, i just eant ti know if some fluke thing happens i am good
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you are protected but booster needed in specific conditions

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you are likely immunised. You will only need boosters only if animal contact falls in category 2 maximum and that includes scratching or bite which is skin deep and cause bleeding. Other kind of contact like without rupturing skin barrier or through shoes or clothing doesn't need any boosters.

I would suggest you not to panic much as you are in better shape than any non immunised individual and unless such aggressive contact like bite or scratch with any rabid animal is the case you don't need to worry about much.

Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
I am a little confused i have heard 3 months, 2 yrs, 1yr

In my case or in this case an animal was flattened on the road, i walked about 3 ft from it. About 6 hrs latter i washed my shoes, i noticed all sorts of crap on the bottom of the shoe i washed it by hand.

2 concerns

I took my shoe off earlier about 20 minutes before going hhrough airport security

And i washed it by hand, granted it went through a washing machine first and i was cleaning up what wouldnt come off.

So in this case if small cuts in my hand wete exposed to say brains thst were splattered on the road by accident would i need boosters
Brief Answer:
You can have antibody titres

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. In the event you have explained, it would have been better not to wash with your hands as you have mentioned small cuts can cause exposure though very very rarely as so many "ifs" exist in this scenario. ,"If" animal had been rabid, "if" the part which touched the shoes had any rabies carrying secretions in it, " If" hands had any cuts etc. but since the rabies is a serious illness, it's better to do precautions as cure doesn't exist.

You have two choices, one to have antibiody titres to see whether your immunity is sufficient to combat any such threat and second to get boosters without getting antibody checked. In that case you would need two shots, one today and second after 3 days. I Hope I had been helpful. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 10 minutes later
So youvthink i need booster shots
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Though probability is too low but I would recommend

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the feedback. Let me explain you a bit. Opinions may varry between physicians as some have higher threshold and some prefer safer approaches. I personally feel that you should. Atleast getting antibody titres isn't of any harm or getting a booster is another safe approach. Though chances are less than 1 percent to catch rabies based on this exposure but it does we should know there is no cure. So why to risk such grave disease for the bothersome of getting few pricks. Hope it has cleared the doubts. If you have any more questions relating to rabies, feel free to ask. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
I got my first booster some of it came out but they said I got enough and I am coming back in 3 days for another shot

Any worries that some ran down my arm
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, it would suffice the need

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Just proceed with the second shot and no need to repeat this one as only 0.5ml suffices the need. Getting antibody titres for reassurance can be done to remove your reservations. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 15 minutes later
Thanks!!!
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi!Thanks for the detailed input. Feel free to ask if any question bothers you in coming days with the open thread. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 hours later
One last question -- i am at a hotel-- i never brought the shoes in my room- my only concern would be the rollers on my bag- i am here for 5 days. It is florida and it is 80 degrees outside. I just to make sure that any virus would be dead before i returned home- i sprayed my bag down with various cleaners and currently have it in the sun on the balcony.

1. Would the bag be ok and all virus dead in 5 days (outside at 80 degrees)

2. Would any virus be dead that somehow coukd have gotten in my room 5 days at room temp and 24 hours ago)

I have read the virus dies in a few hours at room temp
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it would be dead

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Thanks for the detailed feedback. In the given scenario there is no risk of transmission, neither theoretical nor practical as modes if transmission of diseases varry between disease like few spread with contact, few air borne, few through foods or drinks while few through blood products or secretions.

Rabies only spread through affected body secretions, products or organs through transplant from affected donors etc and it doesn't spread through simple contact or through contaminated secretions after days of outside exposure as virus can't complete it's life cycle outside a host and dies or isn't virulent.

In the scenario you have described it would have positively died or not been able to transmit disease even if some contamination is left. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 6 minutes later
So dead within hours?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it does

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Yes it does. Even if some exists it isn't virulent enough to transmit disease. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
And thats even if some material like a spec if brain matter was still on something
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It would be dead by now

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Since rabies virus is an enveloped virus and be that means it is vulnerable to be denatured outside host body with in few hours at room temperature and only maximum survival upto 5-7 days is rarely possible but on freezing temperatures and that too with least viral load in tissue to transmit disease. Regards.
So even frozen it cant transmit after 5 days, the reason i ask this is my truck is still at the airport. The temps range from 60 in the day to freezing at night for 2 days, then 40 for the next three-- will i need to spray some cleaner in it if by dome chance someting hot from my shoes to the pedals? It will be parked for a total if 5 days
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At metal it can stay for 2 days at 60F

Detailed Answer:
Hi! At metal surfaces it lasts for Two days and at glass for 24 hours maximum at 60F so if temperature raises from that it can last lesser than that even. Still for reassurance spraying with disinfectant and cleaning with water without touching directly should work fine. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 46 minutes later
I am worried about the inside, the pedals- if I drive it home will I recontaminate my clothes and shoes?

Temp outside was at 60 for 2 days

Then 40 for three

I plan on spraying the inside with a broad spectrum disinfectant but wouldn't any virusbe dead because at 60 outside the inside would be at least room temp for two 8 hour periods
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The inside would be warmer than outside and means less lifespan

Detailed Answer:
Hi! If temperature outside had been 60 Inside would have been even warmer and that means no chance of survival. Only chance had been at freezing temperatures to survive upto maximum of 5-7 days.
Follow up: Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 23 minutes later
It dipped towards freezing at night but in the 60s during the day-- no chance of virus survival (2 days) then the next 3 will be 40s and below freezing at night
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes no chances of survival exist in this condition

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Sorry for the delayed response. Yes there isn't any chance of survival for the virus in the current scenario but routine disinfection should he done as other bacteria like tetanus and other infection causing one like staph and anaerobes should be killed and direct contact should be avoided. Rubber golves should be used if some visible material is found and should be cleaned with water water too. Regards.