Is pregnancy possible despite taking oral contraceptive pill?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: my periods are not very regular , there is always a margin of 1 or more week. on july it started on 13th and this month it started on 6th of august. I did have my first unprotected intercourse on 21 st after 3 pm. My bf is sure that he didnt ejaculate and .i have no idea wthr i was on ovulation days or not. BUt to be on safer side i took the i pill on 20th hour i.e.on 22nd its been around 5 days and still no vaginal bleeding has occured.And there is a light pain onmy right side of abdominal part.So , should there is a resason to b worried??
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
almost no chance of getting pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to assure you that emergency contraception is almost 100% effective and you do not need to worry about pregnancy as you took the emergency contraction on appropriate time (within 24 hours).

Regarding ovulation time around the unprotected intercourse I can not be sure but the chances are low. Generally the ovulation occurs 14 days before next period and if all of your periods occurs before 26 days each time the possibility is almost nil.

Your last period occurred after 23 days (13 july to 6th august) and ovulation was around 22 July (14 days prior to next period). If we expect on same line your next ovulation must be around 17th August which is far beyond the intercourse date.

Having said this it is difficult to predict exact date of ovulation due to irregular periods but your decision to take emergency contraception points that risk of pregnancy is very low to almost nil.

You are requested to get urine pregnancy test (available over the counter) after three days to get double sure that there is nothing to worry.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more doubts feel free to write back to me.

Thanks and regards

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 7 minutes later
thankyou for your immediate response. But as far as i have read different articles that bleeding occurs so y it has not been yet or its the necessity that after i pill consumption vaginal bleeding i.e. withdrawal bleeding should occur? What if no bleeding occurs?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The bleeding is not essential

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me.

Bleeding is not essential with use of emergency contraception. The bleeding occurs in less than 50 % of cases with use of emergency contraception.

Even if no bleeding occurs there is no point of concern. Your emergency use is effective irrespective of bleeding absence following its use.

You get lot of information over internet which is irrelevant and information you referred in your query is part of the same wrong information.

I hope this clears it altogether.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
just a last query sir.....what all u told means that i can be tension free...? and everyrhing is fine
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Exactly

Detailed Answer:
Yes I mean to say that you can be tension free.
Wish you great health.
Thanks and regards.