Is pregnancy possible despite taking birth control medication?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Birth Control
Question: Hi I recently had unprotected sex about 10 to 11 days ago. I have been on birth control for about 6 years now. Well 2 days ago I was suppose to start my period and I started with severe cramps worse it has been in a long time. Each time I remove my tampon its brownish mixed with red and pink blood. At one point when I went to the bathroom it was normal bleeding and now stopped. Still have cramps and lower back pain. Is this normal? Could I be pregnant? When is a good time to try maybe a pregnancy test?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is normal, no chance of a pregnancy, can test tomorrow morning.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
While on birth control, it is normal to have cramps and altered menstrual bleeding.
This is part of the normal spectrum.
I do not think there is any chance of a pregnancy if you have taken the birth control without missing any pills.
If you wish to reassure yourself further, you can take a pregnancy test tomorrow first thing in the morning.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Would my cramps be severe if i were pregnant? I have had a normal menstration for 6 to 7 years. I have my normal pms symptoms hot flashes headaches irritablity and mood swings. Can you tell the difference between implatation cramps and menstrual cramps
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clarified.

Detailed Answer:
Cramps would not be severe if you were pregnant, they would be severe in a period, and if you were miscarrying.
Implantation cramps are accompanied by implantation bleeding which is mild spotting, and never full blown bleeding like a period.
Implantation occurs a week before a period, not at the time that a period is expected.

Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 5 hours later
I took at test this morning like tou said to reassure myself it said not pregnant. Period is till light bleeding blood about a medium red color. It is the 3rd day of my mentstrual period and i start my new pack on sunday. Do u think everything is normal and that if there was a possibility i could be preganant.. That the test would read pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of pregnancy at all.

Detailed Answer:
You have taken the test and it is negative, so there is no chance at all of a pregnancy.
Please continue the pill pack as usual.
You can reach me directly anytime using the following link -
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-aarti-abraham/64623
Take care, and wish you good health !
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 hours later
Thank u! I will start my pack tomorrow as usual.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YEs, do that.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, please do that.
Have a nice day.
Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN