• question-icon

    Is platelet count of 5000 a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 6 Jul 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: Hi Doctor - My father is 62, 5ft and weight is around 65Kgs. We just got his blood test report and the platelet count is only 5000cells(0.05 cells/cu.mm) as opposed to the normal value of 1.5 lakh cells. He does not have any bleeding issues while brushing teeth or passing urine/motion. Can you please suggest what we need to do inorder to increase his platelet count
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Low platelets cannot be corrected by food or drugs, cause needs to be known

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.
Platelet count of 5000/ cubic mm is critically low and is risk factor for spontaneous bleeding.
There is no medication or food to increase platelet count.
Platelet count can be increased once the stimulus for decreased platelet is removed.
Certain drugs can decrease platelet count.
Is your father on any medication for any disease process?
Viral infections are also known to drastically reduce the platelet count.
Along with platelet count, coagulation tests- PT, INR and aPTT need to be done to know the status of coagulation profile.
In very acute condition, platelets can be transfused to correct the low platelet counts.
Thus, consult your doctor for these investigations and to rule out any other co-existing condition likely to reduced platelet count.
If no cause is found, bone marrow aspiration may be required.
Consult a hematologist at the earliest.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Answered by
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 7935 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Aptt

doctor1 MD

i had a pacemaker installed in february . never any issue however i was paddle boarding and had to paddle hard against the wind to get home.... my...

doctor1 MD

How do i stop a nosebleed

doctor1 MD

I am 77 years old and in relatively good health but I am having terrible problems with bruises. What can be done to reduce these.

doctor1 MD

My Grandson 2 yrs 4 months old has the problem of nose bleeding . I had consulted Dr Arvind Shenoi. He had suggested certain blood tests. The...

doctor1 MD

I have a positive lupus anti coagulant, was diagnosed 4 years ago after my third M/C ... I have been on aspirin since then , I had an APTT...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

200 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Shailja Puri
  • Q - Can HIV be contracted through non-penetrative sex?

  • Q - Are interferons derived from human blood?

  • Q - What causes of macrocytosis and associated medical conditions?

  • Q - What causes fatigue, dizziness, tiredness and swollen tonsils?

  • Q - What does this urinalysis of a 4 year old indicate?

  • Q - What does the following blood test report indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for cyst formation in liver

  • Q - What do calcified granulomas on a chest X ray indicate?

  • Q - What does the blood test result indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for Chlamydia trachomatis infection