• question-icon

Is pancreas cancer a contagious disease?

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in General Health
Question: My great grandma died in her 30's of pancreas cancer or pancertitis or pancreatic cancer. What's my chances of getting it? I'm a 20 year old male I'm super worried I'm gonna get it and I the 4 Kid of my mom. So I feel like I'm the runt and will end up with the bad.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Your chances of getting it is very less as it is rare condition, causing inflammation of the pancreas. It is caused by a faulty gene that can be inherited from one parent. About 3 percent of all cases of pancreatic cancer are what's known as familial pancreatic cancer.

It is uncommon in people under 40. There are some things that can increase your risk.

Smoking – This is known to increase your risk.

Some medical conditions – if you have a history of diabetes, long term inflammation of the pancreas, hereditary pancreatitis, stomach ulcers or certain types of cancer.

Diet – high levels of fat, sugar, and red or processed meats in your diet affect pancreatic cancer risk.

Body weight and exercise – Being overweight causes a small increase in the risk of pancreatic cancer.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
No one else in my family has this cancer or any problems with their pancreas and my grandmother told me that her mom also had hep C which she said it spread to her pancreas? So could that be the cause because she didn't take care of the hep C? And also does that make it hereditary? Cause Im worried about this. I have had blood work done and a ultra sound done and all came back normal but does that even show if there was inflammation or and thing that's abnormal?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

There is nothing to worry about. Hepatitis C does not spread to the pancreas. It is known to cause cancer of the liver which could involve the pancreas. Proper treatment of HCV also may not guarantee that the affected person does not develop liver cancer.
As of now, I dont think you need to worry about this. If you have no complaints, do not get any investigations done.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement