What are the side effects of chemotherapy?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been prescribed Gabapentin to treat nerve damage resulting from the removal of my malignant thymus gland. I am taking chemo for my liver cancer that had metastasized from the thymus CA. I have developed a common side effect post chemo:peripheral neuropathy along wth pain in the joints and muscles. My Oncologist prescribed Oxycodene/apap5-325 to control pain associated with both of these side effects. Can I take both the Gabapentin and Oxycodene simualtaneosly as needed?
Yesterday my Oncologist asked me if I had tried the Gabapentin to control the Neuropathy and joint pain. I responded that I had but with regard to the Thymus surgery. She suggested trying it to control the chemo side effects. neglected to ask if she meant instead of or in addition to the OXY. The Oxy I only take as needed.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be used together.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com. I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Yes, both the drugs can be used together, however, its just that the combination may cause excessive sleepiness or mental confusion.If you get such symptoms, report the same to your treating doctor so that he can put you on alternative medicines.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)