Is lynoral 0.05 effective to prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Birth Control
Question: is lynoral 0.05 good for preventing pregnacy, i ordered ortho- tri cycaline and this is what the sent me from india. i got 30 pills and i though it was a 28 day cycle. how would i take this medication. wasnt givin any directions. do i take it on first day of perios till day 21 and then nothin for 7 days. dont no why i have 30 pills. how effective is this so i dont get pregnant.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The best that I can tell in researching this medication is that it is ethinyl estradiol - or in other words, it is estrogen ONLY. Before answering HOW to take this medication, I need clarification of EXACTLY what is in the medication. Are there technical terms that list the types of hormones that it contains? Does it contain a progesterone, such as norethindrone?

Let me know and I will continue to try and help you!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 31 minutes later
the only thing it says is ethinylestradiol tablets IP lynoral 0.05 Each uncoated tablet contins ethinylestradial IP 0.05 mg excipients g.s. .
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 minutes later
Thank you for the followup.

Birth control pills, such as the ortho tricyclen that you had expected contain two things:

1. Ethinyl estradiol
2. Some form of progesterone

It would not be appropriate for you to take estrogen ALONE. This is not a typical medication used in the USA, but there is no way that an OB/GYN would put a young woman on "unopposed" estrogen alone. This would carry some significant health risks. While I thing that it would work as a birth control pill, I think that you need some clarification of why you are not on a progesterone as well.

In addition, this is a large dose of estrogen. You are more likely to have side effects, such as nausea. The usual combination birth control pills are safer, and the lower doses of estrogen and progesterone are much lower and associated with far fewer side effects. The use of estrogen alone sounds kind of "old school" and I think that you should do what you can to get some more information and perhaps a more updated pill if you can.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have more questions!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 minutes later
is there a pill in the us that i can buy online without a perscription and what website and what do i get
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 4 minutes later
Unfortunately, in the US there is no form of oral contraceptive that can be bought without a prescription! I know that this is unfortunate, but you need a prescription. We cannot provide this on this site. If you have an OB/GYN or primary provider, perhaps you can contact them and see if they can help you out. I am sorry that you are in this predicament.

If you are in the US, you could go to a Planned Parenthood and they would be able to give you a prescription.