Is long term diet modification advisable after cauterization to treat H-pylori infection?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: if I had endoscopy and cauterization of lesions in the stomach supposedly caused by H Pylori followed up by the 3 or 4 prescriptions for a couple of weeks following the procedure approx. 6 mo ago, how long do I need to be careful of what I eat and drink, such as wine, tea, acidy or spicy foods? I still have burping and when my stomach is empty it burns. is the baby aspirin for heart something I should discontinue? Dr. said he was sure it was H pylori even though biopsy indicated none found. perhaps I should be checked again. he said I would need an endoscopy a year from the first one to check if cured.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Long term diet modification.

Detailed Answer:
Hello my dear patient,
Thanks for asking query on this forum.
You are most likely a case of gastritis with acid peptic disorder.H.Pylori is one among many causes of gastritis.Cauterization was done for peptic ulcers however to be symptoms free you have to follow a strict life style change for years along with proper medications.
Gastritis as such can’t be cured but can be fully controlled.By this i don’t mean that you can’t eat spicy or drink wine.Try to eat clean diet 6 days a week you can have spicy diet wine etc in one meal.Just take antacids like pantoprazole before that meal.Satisfying taste buds is very essential for us to remain sane.
As explained earlier H.pylori was a cause of gastritis but to control symptoms you have to follow strict diet.

Suggestions-
Take a Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily in morning.Its over the counter and is very effective in long term control of gastritis.
Repeat a extra dose on your cheat days.
Biopsy was done to rule out cancer my dear.It has nothing to do with H.pylori.

Endoscopy as a protocol should be done every year to check progression of disease.

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana