Is it safe to fly after bruise on leg?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: My sister fell and hurt her leg ... It has started to bruise immediately and she is due to fly in 6 hours. She took an aspirin and has iced the area. Is it safe for her to fly?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get an x-ray done before flying.

Detailed Answer:

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury .
It is better to get an x-ray done before flying to rule out any bony injury.
Beside icing, she needs to elevate the limb during flying. She can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad