Is it safe to fly after bruise on leg?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
My sister fell and hurt her leg ... It has started to bruise immediately and she is due to fly in 6 hours. She took an aspirin and has iced the area. Is it safe for her to fly?
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get an x-ray done before flying.

Detailed Answer:

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury .
It is better to get an x-ray done before flying to rule out any bony injury.
Beside icing, she needs to elevate the limb during flying. She can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.