Owl Image

Is it possible to retrieve eggs after hysterectomy?

Owl Image
Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Question
I am having surgery tomorrow for adenomyosis, am not willing to go to hysterectomy yet but understand this surgery may not help. Am 40 and married, still desperate for a child and am in the adoption process. Can i still retrieve eggs if stimulated and do go through with hysterectomy?
Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Monish De 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Preserving ovary

Detailed Answer:
Hi

It may still be possible to retrieve eggs after hysterectomy if you have your uterus removed but still have your ovaries preserved.

These eggs will need to be fertilized with sperm from your partner in order to be preserved.The ovaries are storage organisms for oocytes or eggs. Preserving eggs alone, without fertilization, is an experimental technique that is not widely available and has not consistently resulted in successful pregnancies.

Harvesting eggs from the ovaries will require medications to stimulate your ovaries.

Certain types of ovarian cancers can grow in response to this stimulation so it is important to discuss this with an oncologist before you go for egg harvesting.

Hope i have answered your query.

DR De