Is it possible to have preeclampsia without hypertension?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: is it in anyway possible to have preclampsia and not have the high blood pressure? I'm 33 weeks and no protein in urine and CBC was fine. only had high BP 3 out of 10 checks. but swellings starts in legs but if I don't hurry to put compression socks on it goes all the way to neck and face. fluid comes on in a matter of minutes. ears and gums begin to hurt.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It appears that currently you have mild gestational hypertension.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani I will be answering your concerns today.

Preeclampsia exhibits several varients.

It is possible to have preeclampsia without hypertension. In that case you will show other end organ dysfunction like changes in liver function/kidney function/low platelet count etc.

From your notes it appears that currently you have mild gestational hypertension ( hypertension without proteinuria). This progresses to preeclampsia in some. So you need to be closely monitored. Check your blood pressure daily. Check urine for albumin every other day. I hope you have had baseline ultrasound for the baby and liver and kidney function tests. If these are not done, please discuss with your doctor and get them done.

Please check to find out if you have low albumin in blood as this exaggerates the oedema.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
I am photo copying my last lab work from my OB. this was before I was seen for swelling does anything appear to be dangerous or raise red flag. and one more. I do know based on how or when you ovulate is how due dates are calculated. so a couple weeks off either way isn't uncommon. but is it possible that doctor is wrong by a whole 5 weeks. based on baby measures I am due March 29th. but based on dates of last cycle of XXXXXXX 10, 2016 I should be due on Feb 17th. just curious if this could happen with today's advanced tech. thank you for all your help
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

The complete blood count result is good. But I want you to repeat complete blood count, liver and kidney function tests, and urine albumin now.

If your last menstrual period was on 10 XXXXXXX your due date will be March 17. The best way to calculate due date is by early ( ultrasound done before 13 weeks) ultrasound dating. When did you have your first ultrasound? Does it correspond to your date of March 17 or March 29. What about your latest ultrasound? I mean ultrasound done within the last two weeks.

Waiting for your reply,
Dr Rama
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana