Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Is it normal to have severe unilateral pelvic pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14878 Questions
Is it ever normal for severe menstrual pain to suddenly appear only on the right side? For the past 3 months, I've had sudden, short bursts of severe pain only on the right side of my lower abdomen near my hip, right around the start of my period. I still have the normal all-over cramps as well, but they're not severe. This pain takes my breath away sometimes. I'm 37, no pregnancies, monogamous, and in generally good health, other than iron deficiency anemia. I'm also living temporarily outside the US, and good medical care is not readily available.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Unilateral pelvic pain can be as a result of different conditions.
It may be related to the reproductive system, the urinary tract, in particular the bladder and the intestines.
Since the pain occurs just prior to your period it is most likely related to the reproductive system.
The most common causes of pelvic pain in this system are (1) ovarian pathology such as an ovarian cyst , there are other ovarian conditions that may contribute to pain (2)due to an endometrial deposit in endometriosis- this is a condition that is a common cause of pelvic pain, it is related to deposition of parts of the endometrium in different parts of the pelvis.
(3) infection
(4)adhesions- these are more likely if there is a previous history of surgery

Exact diagnosis of the cause of the pain would require an examination of the abdomen and possibly a specula and pv examination by a doctor who may then suggest that an abdominal pelvic ultrasound to be done.

Treatment depends on the result of the ultrasound.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor