Is high amylase level in blood caused by reactive hypoglycemia?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,
My Amylase has been tested 3 times for the past six months and has been gradually increasing. Last result at 240 while Lipase is normal. Ultra sound of pancreas shows no abnormalities. I've had IBS and reactive hypoglycemia for 12+ years, but first time high amylase detected. Doctor thinks it is gastritis since im complaining about upper abdominal pain.

I need a second opinion if the high amylase is related to reactive hypoglycemia or not?

Also should I go for any further tests if higher Amylase indicates or is an early sign of something else?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not related to reactive hypoglycemia,it may be non specific finding.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

High amylase level is a non specific finding and it may be due to many reasons like pancreatitis,gall bladder infection,intestinal blockage,salivary,prostate,lung,stomach problem etc.
Most likely it is not related to reactive hypoglycemia.
You may need clinical correlation and further investigations.
Since lipase level and ultrasound of pancreas are normal,it almost exclude pancreatitis.
It is important to exclude other causes.
You may need routine hemogram,random blood sugar,lipid profile,liver and renal function test,chest X-ray (PA view),urine RE/ME.
CT scan of abdomen can be done after assessment.
Proper treatment depend upon findings.
Don't worry much,it may be a non specific finding.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad