Is elevated SGOT and SGPT levels a cause of concern?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am 58 kgs / 169 cms. A recent blood test showed SGOT and SGPT levels of 98 and 61 respectively. All other values are within normal ranges. I lead an active lifestyle and occasionally drink alcohol (~twice a month). As per my knowledge, there have been 2 recent health related developments:

1. I joined a gym 4 weeks back and have been exercising a lot more than usual
2. I had a UTI 6 weeks back and had taken a 10 day course of antibiotics and antihitamines (Allegra)

Are my elevated SGOT, SGPT levels explainable based on the above or would you recommend further tests?
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

SGOT and SGPT enzyme increase in your case is mild . The cause of elevation in your case may be
1)due to heavy excercise you are doing mainly weight lifting types
2)in females occasionally taking alcohol may cause this problem
3)following UTI.

In all these conditions we see mild increase in levels. UTI will be ruled out as a cause because it is already 6 weeks over. After subsciding of infection, levels should come to normal.

It is difficult in your case to say which is the cause among 1 and 2. I would suggest you to not drink for one month and also reduce doing weight lifting and muscular excercise.

Repeat SGOT and SGPT and see they are reduced or not. As such now no need for further investigations because in both cases the raise in enzymes is mild and self limited without any treatment. This much mild elevation is not taken as significant.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari