Is ecchymosis possible after Septocaine injection?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Fri, 29 Jul 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is it possible to have ecchymosis, or otherwise unexplained black and blue marks as a result of a septocaine injection for tooth extraction from the time of the procedure and lasting several months?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no...

Detailed Answer:

although septocaine injection may cause ecchymosis, it's not supposed to last that long. You haven't made clear whether it's an ecchymosis at the site of injection or various lesions all around your body. If you're having persistent or recurrent ecchymoses then investigation is required. You should first check your complete blood count (particularly the platelets' count), bleeding time and the coagulation indices (INR and activated PTT). This is the first level of investigation. Depending on the results further investigation might be required.

Your medical history might be important too. For example, other symptoms or signs you may have, like fever, liver disease, hematologic disorders, drugs you use, etc.

I hope it helps!
If you'd like to provide more information about your case, I'll be glad to comment on them.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Thank you so much. Do you have any other thoughts? my husband is experiencing small and large black and blue marks mainly on his hands and arms. This began to occur after a tooth extraction that resulted in excessive bleeding . Septocaine was the anesthesia used. He was not taking any other medication.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's not the extraction...

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

I don't believe it's the extraction or the drug that caused it. The drug could have caused problems to platelet production but that's a very rare event. I suggest doing the tests I've mentioned to check whether the platelets (mostly involved in such cases) or the coagulation cascade work properly.

Kind Regards!