Is delayed period an indication of pregnancy desipte negative pregnancy results?
Thanks for writing.
If pregnancy is delayed by a week in presence of previous regular cycles and
If pregnancy test done with a good urine pregnancy kit and shows negative then pregnancy is definitely absent.
If previous cycles are irregular then better to repeat after a week.
We had an intercourse on approximately the 6th or 7th day of my menstrual cycle. Due to a failed contraception, to avoid any doubts, I took an ipill within 15-16hours at the most. I took the pill on 12th may and got my periods on 21st May, although my due date was 31st May. It has been 38 days ever since and I still have not got my next periods. I've been having back pain. I took a urine test today and it came negative. However I had slight bleeding yesterday for a brief period of half an hour and nothing thereafter. The home pregnancy test stated negative. But I'm worried as it has been 8 days past my due date. Pls clarify.
irregularity is due to ipill
Thanks for writing.
The irregularity is due to ipill. As pregnancy test is negative then pregnancy is not there.
The ipill has high dose progesterone that can cause irregularity in cycles.
You can wait for a week by which you will
definitely get your period.
detailed answer below
The spotting and pain is due to a period which is imminent. progesterone (ipill)in high doses can prevent pregnancy but cause bloating , cramps and irregular bleeding.
As you mentioned home pregnancy tests are not always reliable as the test kits are not always stored in correct temperature and not executed correctly at home . despite all these it still extremely reliable. you can repeat again or better take the sample to a local lab .
if you want to be 100% SURE GET A BLOOD TEST SERUM BETAHCG at a labarotary. if blood test is negative the you are definitely not pregnant.
But I feel repeating another home pregnancy test is better and easy. if negative take meftal spas for back ache and wait.
Also consider safer reliable methods of contraception next cycle.
you can write back for details after next cycle for contraception advice.
if all your queries have been answered then please close the discussion and answer the review/ feedback
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Delayed periods experiencing early pregnancy symptoms negative pregnancy test pregnant
- Could delayed periods with hpt negative indicate pregnancy
- Delayed periods uti negative pregnancy test chances of pregnancy
- Delayed periods pregnancy test negative pink discharge chances of pregnancy
- Delayed periods pregnancy tests negative chances of pregnancy
- Delayed periods pcos negative pregnancy tests pregnancy possible
- Delayed periods negative pregnancy test had unprotected sex pregnancy chances
- Loose stools delayed period pregnancy tests negative pregnancy chances
- Can delayed periods and negative pregnancy test indicate pregnancy
- Delayed periods negative pregnancy tests history of miscarriages pregnancy