Is condyloma acuminata contagious?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am 56 yrs old and been totally true to my husband of 17years. I recently had a condyloma acuminata removed from the upper portion of my genital area. next to my lower abdomen. nothing came back on my pap smear. no chlamydia on std screen. It had been there about 6-8months and I thought it was a mole when I brought up during my std screen. Am I forever contagious? Does this mean I can never ever have a sexual relationship again?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Warts: quite often seen and are not STDs.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query tot the forum.

I can understand your concern for condyloma acuminata removed from the upper portion of genital area next to lower abdomen and its correlation with any sexually transmitted infection.

After reading your query and understanding it properly let me first reassure you that your condition is not at all related to any sexually transmitted infection.

I would like to designate your condition as simple "wart" rather than condyloma acuminata.

Wart is also similar to condyloma acuminata but the difference is --wart is of non-sexually transmitted origin and condyloma acuminata is of sexually transmitted.

As I can get your history your wart was removed from upper portion of genital are and not inside or over the labia majora or minora so there is no question of designating it as condyloma acuminata and therefore as sexually transmitted origin.

These kind of condition are quite often seen and are not STDs.

Let me completely reassure you that your condition was a simple wart which I see more than 10 cases a week. If we designated all these as condyloma acuminata or sexually transmitted origin then a lot majority of people would have had been designated as sexually transmitted organ......which is actually not!!!

Mam, thanks a lot for sharing your true-self with me because of which I can cent percent assure you that your condition is not of sexually transmitted origin.

So you should rest assured about any spread of STDs and just relax and enjoy your good relation of every type with your hubby.

My all best wishes for your healthy and wealthy life.

I hope these informations will help and relax you. I will be glad to answer any further queries.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD-Dermatology & sexaully transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
my husband had been in an extra marital affair and my gynecologist told me the lab has confirmed it to be a condyloma acuminata. Hence. I am scared to have a sexual relationship since. Are you 100% certain the lab was wrong?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can resume your normal sexual life.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again and thanks for your swift follow up with important details.

After getting the further details let me guide you certain important things related to your problem:

There is group of virus which causes different type of wart like or other lesions. These viruses are known as HPV viruses or Human papilloma viruses.

There are more than 50 different types of HPV identified so far.

Common warts are caused by HPV 1, 2,3, 7, 8 & 10.

Genital warts or condyloma acuminata are caused by 6 & 11.

Cervical cancer or genital cancers are caused by 16 & 18 and others.

So you can get from above information that your wart was either caused by HPV of common warts or 6 &11. There is no association of any other HPV including that causing genital cancers.

As your wart as present just below the lower abdomen so there is more possibility of the lesion due to common wart group.

Getting and understanding above informations you can get that there was nothing wrong with you and the wart which occurred in you can happen to any body without any problem. Once these are removed these never causes any problem in general health as well as in sexual life.

The person is not at all infective for life time. You have wrong notion in your mind that you still been infected. had you been infected then in last 8 months you might have had one or more similar type of warty lesion recurred in yourself.

You are not at all contagious now and can resume your normal sexual life.

My all best wishes for your good health.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia