Is bulge in LS4 disc curable?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: HI i have a bulge in my LS4 spine is it curable.
i do have pain while i exercise and run and due to this i have stopped these activities
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please attach MRI report to know if treatment with medicines is enough

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The initial treatment is always physiotherapy, restricted heavy physical activity and medications for pain reduction including neurogenic pain relievers. The pain intensity is monitored with a wide range of medications for about 6 months to a year before deciding on a surgical treatment to relieve the pain due to disc bulge.

2. It will help to read your MRI report to know the exact extent and severity of your disc bulge. You can attach the MRI report and then I will be able to tell if it is a mild bulge which can be treated with physiotherapy and medicines or a significant disc bulge that might require surgical treatment in the future.

3. In your case it looks like the disc at L4 -L5 is bulging and there is pressure on nerve roots and the pain should improve with rest. You can continue doing light activities but exercises and running should be controlled for a short period of time till your doctor is certain that doing exercises will not worsen your condition.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist