Is a small and red bump at the site of injury a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My son fell out of his high chair last night. The spot was red and looked like it was forming a bump. Today it is soft and feels like it goes inward a little do I need to take him to emergency room. His behavior is normal
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be a soft tissue injury

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.
I have read the question and understand your concern.

It is most likely that your son has a soft tissue injury. A soft tissue injury is one that occurs due to damage to the soft tissues in the area. These are the muscles and the tissues.

The swelling will start to go down after a while and you can ice it for 15 minutes every hour several times a day to help reduce the swelling.

If your son lost consciousness at all, then you should take him to the Emergency Room right away. Also, take him to the Emergency Room if he gets a fever or if he loses consciousness.

I hope this has answered your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.

All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 3 hours later
So even though his head is hard but the bump goes inward and is soft he should be fine? No fever. He has been fussy today and taken one long nap. But its not swollen on the outside its just soft
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better to get checked up

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for the follow up

I thought there was a swelling and a bump. Having a soft area that goes in can be several things. It would be a good idea to see a doctor to confirm what it is exactly.

All the best and I wish your son a quick recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni