question-icon

Is a gamma gt reading of 120 IU/L a cause for concern?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: My gamma gt was 120 IU/L and my ferritin was 162 ng/mL. Also, my iron binding capacity was 203 ug/dL? I drink, but not to excess. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Your gamma GT is high due to alcohol.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

Your Gamma GT is slightly high. It is increased in alcoholism. It can detect occult alcoholism without any liver disease.

So you may have some alcoholic liver disease or may not have.
But according to my opinion you should go for complete liver function test once.

You need to avoid alcohol completely before it causes any liver damage.

So avoid alcohol.

Don't worry about ferritin or iron binding capacity if your hemoglobin is normal. If you have low hemoglobin then you need iron supplements.

Give me follow up.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer.
Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist