Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

195 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Is a flagger job suitable for a person who had hand cut off in an accident and then put back after surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1998

Answered : 5165 Questions

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, my spouse had a very bad work injury last march 15, 2012. He was working for a Shake and Shingle saw mill, and was using a machine called a cuber (which is a big blade, axe) and he cut his hand off in this injury. So he was sent to a hospital where he under went a 14 1/2 hour surgery to put his hand back together. The surgery was a success and has been on wcb since the accident. Now they are trying to get him back into the work field because he hit a plateau in his healing, he is now doing some tutoring to become a flagger, we are uncertain if he will even be able to do all the tasks that are required for this position. We know with most certainty he will never return to more physical jobs or his last job. I am just wondering your incite on this. So, I guess my question is, do you feel it is a good job to get into or should he get a note from our local physician to tell wcb that this isnt something he will be able to go forward with. OUr biggest fear is that he will fail and then just shut himself right up. They choose this job because he is limited to what he can do with a very low level of education
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Flagger would be a good job for him. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Flagger would be a good job for him as it does not require skill and fine muscle movements. He can do that with his non injured arm also. As both lower limbs are normal and no head injury he can manage to balance his body. Plastic surgeon or hand surgeon may help regarding possibility of tendon transfer for better functioning of arm. You may consult physiotherapist for guidance. He may start TENS, or ultrasound and muscle stimulation which is helpful in your case. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures ,  

Recent questions on  Plastic surgery

doctor1 MD

I had a skin graft done on my foot one small part on my ankle is darkish red while the other part is light grey is this bad and i accidently moved my darkish red part and the skin came up a little and i put it right back and held it down hard should i be worried

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am considering having laser hair removal, am HIV+ and currently on medication, but fit and healthy. Is there any reason why I would not be advised to have the procedure? I have not told the clinician of my status nor do I plan to, however are there any risks associated with the procedure or could it have an adverse effect due to the medications?

doctor1 MD

Does wound honey really work in wound healing? I am a diabetic type two had a melanoma removed from my heal a year and seven months ago. I had a skin graft on my foot and have been back to the Muffet Cancer center for follow up so far with no evidence of recurrence. The surgical wound has been very slow in healing now about ninety nine percent healed. The small six by four mm has not healed. I take Tradjenta daily and my blood sugar has never been over 125. Is it reasonable to try the medical honey? I am a retired physician myself

doctor1 MD

I'm 19 yrs old..& NOT circumcised. Wednesday nigh my girlfriend was giving me oral sex & I started to bleed A LOT! I was very afraid. I went to the hospital that night & all they said was that I had 2 lacerations on my penis.I was bleeding up until I got onto the room bed in the hospital.I think I snapped the frenulum. I'm not too sure at all. I feel no pain or anything like that. The doctors sent me home & said that all I needed to do was apply neosporin & stuff like that for about a week and also abstain from sex for a week or 2. I want a better outlook on this matter because I don't know what to do. Can you help? Also there is a tiny black scab right under the urine slit. It doesn't burn or anything I just want to know how I should remove it & when I can resume sexual activity.

doctor1 MD

I am interested in having a breast lift and implants...I am 59 years good health! I am a bit scared, never had any surgery before, lol, not looking to be Dolly Parton, but want to fill a bra properly! May you recommend to me an excellent...

doctor1 MD

Hello, this question is for a dermatologist or a general surgeon . I suffer from multiple lipomas in my arms, thighs and back. My questions: 1) Is there a treatment available for lipomas to stop them from growing or increasing in size? 2) If...

doctor1 MD

My whole scalp is now a (Gel). I went to Specialists Dermatologist Dr's etc. They did many biopsies took pictures and only told me it's in GRANULAR ???? I just want some medicine to heal it, or to have it removed or Plastic Surgery to fix it. I...