Is a blood pressure reading of 200/110 a cause for concern?
Today for no particular reason I decided to monitor my BP just after a moderate run of 3-4 minutes.
200/110. I was shocked and surprised.
As I read online, the 200 maybe is ok (my surprise) but the rise in diastolic could be troublesome.
What do you think? Possible causes of diastolic rise?
Should I restrict exercise?
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
Regarding your concern, I would explain that your blood pressure values (systolic and dyastolic) are too high. This could be partially explained by the physical activity.
Nevertheless, it may be a sign that your blood pressure is not under control all the time.
An isolated blood pressure value is not very meaningful.
That is why I recommend you to closely monitor your blood pressure several times during the day (in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax) for the next week and refer those values to your doctor.
If your blood pressure values result frequently high, you should discuss with your doctor on the possibility of making some changes to your actual therapy (increase the doses or add a calcium channel blocker like amlodipine).
Further lab tests (complete blood count, blood electrolytes, thyroid hormone levels, kidney and liver function tests, PCR, sedimentation rate) are needed to exclude possible secondary causes of high blood pressure.
Another clue to consider, is checking your blood pressure monitor if works well. It may also be a battery or machine false value.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes a low in diastolic reading in blood pressure
- Blood pressure reading 110 90
- Should i be concerned about the blood pressure reading
- Blood pressure 200 over 110
- Is a blood pressure reading of 200 180 serious
- Blood pressure 200 110
- Is 138over 110 a bad blood pressure reading
- Blood pressure reading 188 over 110
- 200 100 blood pressure reading
- What causes blood pressure 110 59
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?