Is a bilirubin level of 4.70 a cause for concern?
the reason should be found out. if its viral then it will take its time
Thanks for posting in HCM.
Bilirubin levels increasing means jaundice. But there are multiple reasons for the same.
Most common reason is hepatitis A.
I would like to know some background information about the same as follows.
1. Did you had fever before or after having jaundice?
2. Is there nausea and vomiting associated with the same?
3. Kindly tell me the full LFT report alongwith direct and indirect bilirubin levels.
4. Have you been investigated further to find out the reason of jaundice?
Kindly answer me above questions so I can answer you in better way.
1) never had fever before jaundice.
2) No nausea or vomiting associated with the same.
3) LFT Report as on diagnosis date 15th XXXXXXX
Total Bilirubin- 2.90, SGOT - 138, SGPT - 248. Medicine Started.
4) LFT Report as on 22nd XXXXXXX
Total Bilirubin - 4.70, Direct-3.30, Indirect-1.40.
I don't the exact reason of jaundice, however as per doctor it is due to contaminated water. Please let me know is there any cause of worry and other details
yes. looks like viral hepatitis. kindly read ahead
Thanks for following up with me and answering questions.
From the report even I agree with your doctor that it looks like hepatitis A or E.
It spreads via contaminated water already containing the virus.
Its a self limiting illness. It will take atleast 2 to 3 weeks to heal.
The jaundice will go on increasing alongwith the bilirubin till a week or so. Then automatically it will start coming down.
So even if it increases to 6 or 8, do not worry.
Just take diet rich in glucose. Avoid diet rich in oil and non veg.
Continue taking that medication which you mentioned.
Meanwhile also get an ultrasound abdomen to rule out any gall bladder and also liver picture.
I hope I have answered your query well.
If you have any questions kindly ask me back.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Have total bilirubin count of 232 cause of concern
- Does an increase in bilirubin level cause dizziness
- Should i be concerned about high bilirubin levels
- What causes mild rise in indirect bilirubin levels
- What hereditary diseases cause high bilirubin levels
- Increased bilirubin level causes
- Does tylenol cause variation in bilirubin levels in newborn
- Causes high bilirubin levels in teens
- High bilirubin level caused by dehydration
- What causes increased bilirubin level