• question-icon

Is a Mirlax bowel prep at home safe for relieving constipation?

Posted on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: is it safe to do a mirlax bowel prep at home to relieve constipation
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes definitely you can.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Definitely yes.PEG-ES is in a class of medications called osmotic laxatives. It works by causing watery diarrhea so that -the stool can be emptied from the colon. The medication also contains electrolytes to prevent dehydration and other serious side effects that may be caused by fluid loss as the colon is emptied.Polyethylene glycol-electrolyte solution (PEG-ES) comes as a powder to mix with water and take by mouth.You have to drink one 8 ounce of PEG-ES every 10 or 15 minutes, and to continue drinking until your liquid bowel movements are clear.It will clear your bowel.,you can take Magnesium citrate also.It is also a osmotic diuretic with same effect as Polyethylene glycol.
Yes Miralax is very safe and effective.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 18 minutes later
I drank aprox 7 capfuls ad had some diarehas but it never wenty clear it was dark stool.i didn't want t do moew capfuls since my diarrhea stopped clompletly.what is causing no diarrhea to come out despite dring the mirlax and water?could it be a impaction of stools.i feel a lot of stools are still in my colon but nothing is coming out

could you please respond now.i had asked to get my subscription canceled since I didn't get a reply in time but I said I do want the subeiption to be billed because you responed in time.may you please responf to my gusetion now

I had another small amount of diareha just now so I will continue themirlax

if I donthave msny diarehea stools after drinking more mirlaxi will defintlyly not continue.i believe I may havre a impaction of stools in my colon that is preventing the rest of the stools fr coming out

why would my diarrhea stolls stop despite contimuing to dreing the mirlax?does that mean the rest of the colon may have a impoaction of stools
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be moderate impaction also or severe stagnation of stools.

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Initially a CT scan should be done to see the amount of stool there in your intestine and to look for any possible impaction of stool.
When large amount of stool stagnates in intestines a number of harmful organism acts on it causing it to fermentate and therefore color of stool changes and smell becomes averting in nature.

There is a proper way to use Miralax.

take 4 bisacodyl tablets by mouth with a glass of water. Start drinking the MiraLAX bowel preparation. Drink 1 (8-ounce) glass of the mixture every 15 minutes for a total of 4 times until you have drunk half the MiraLAX.

So all you need is-
4 (5 mg) tablets of bisacodyl (Dulcolax®).
238 grams of polyethylene glycol (MiraLAX).
64 ounces of liquid.

Drink it the way i suggested if bowel still is not clear then go for a CT scan asap.
Thanks!
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 52 minutes later
I did the miralx and the stools were dark stool diareha but I stopeed haiving anybowel movements at all no diareahea so I stopped the mirlax.i have had no bm . i stopped the mirlax but i hve had no diarrhea or anything from my rectal area.my stomach is distended and full.is it okay to wait until i can see if i resume my bowels again in a few hours
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Why to assume when we have tests to confirm.

Detailed Answer:
If thats the case then i would suggest you to better go for a CT abdomen.
Why to waste time when all investigatins are available.

Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 57 minutes later
I will seek help sir thank you
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up.

Detailed Answer:
You most welcome.
Do rate my answers and write a review.
Wish you a fast recovery and good luck.
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist