Is Zinnat safe for earache if one is allergic to Penicillin

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Oct 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am in France and have an infection in my right tonsil that's causing pain in my war
Have to fly back to US and saw doctor here that made sure I had no ear infection but have the other.
I told him I was allergic to Penicillin and Levoquin - He gave me ZINNNAT 250 mg 2 a day - just saw this is in the pennicilin family and now afraid to take
I can see the doctor when I get back to California - I just wanted to make sure my earache was safe enough for a 12 hour flight which it is
Should I take it or wait 4 more days and get another antibiotic ?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute tonsillitis with eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to healthcare Magic and thanks for putting up the query
Acute tonsillitis can cause eustachian tube blockage leading to fullness and pin in the ears.
Take a nasal decongestant and steam inhalation.
Chew a gum while take off and landing tht will help to decongest the tube and relieve symptoms.
Avoid any penicillinn group if allergic.
Take tablet azithromycin 500 once a day for 5 days.
All the medicines i have prescribed you will be available only on prescription.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T