Is Unwanted 72 pill safe to take while on Descon 21?

Dr. Zenab Tambawala

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: My period date 10 march I take unwanted 72 on 23 march. Period come 31 march to 3 april. My doctor start me descon 21 tablet from 4 april. Again unprotected sex on morning 6april . N take unwanted 72 .

Pls answer that
will i continue descon tab.
Is it danger that taken two unwant.72 in fifteen days.
Is it harmful that use of unwanted72 with descon
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dont worry.

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Welcome to HCM,

Taking unwanted 72 again within 15 days will not make it less effective, and also taking Descon 21 does not affect its function. Moreover Descon 21 itself is a contraceptive and will prevent pregnancy.

But considering your age at 35 years and also high blood pressure it would not be wise to take Descon 21, it has estrogen and progesterone hormones which are not recommended in patients with high blood pressure.

I would discourage you from repeated use of unwanted 72 and motivate you to consider another long term contraception which is safe like Copper T insertion.

As for now you are protected from pregnancy by taking unwanted 72.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 4 hours later
1.
I take descon 21 (it is desogestrel and ethinylestradiol) first time n as per leaflet or sperm life point if vew i take it regular till today When should i stop to take it that i would safe.i think is it better that i take 5 pills after sex date (6 april) .
Am i think right.

2.
I feel some pain in my right side on third operetioned stiches from 1 april. Is it related to preg. Or what is this ( please consider total term 23 march unwant.72, than 31 to 3 bleeding than start descon 4 april. Unprotect on 6 april morning than agaun unwant. 72 after 14 hour.
Brief Answer:
No need to take .

Detailed Answer:
1. Since you have taken unwanted 72 there is no need to take Descon 21. Moreover for it to be effective you should have started Descon on the first day of your last period that is on 31 march itself. You started it from 4th. So initial few days of the cycle were pill free. Thus by now continuing Descon it does not help in any way. The unwanted 72 which you took within 14 hours will provide you adequate protection.

2. The stitch pain is quite superficial and not related to the pregnancy. I do not think you could get pregnant now, as you have taken unwanted.

So, please do not worry and consider an alternate method of contraception.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Zenab Tambawala 1 hour later
Because unwant72 effect is getting periods.
And descon taking is effect to delay periods . (If it is true.)
Then descon stop is cause of early periods.
Is any more descon reduce effect of unwanted72 proprty of getting periods.
Answered by Dr. Zenab Tambawala 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no descon wont help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

It is not true that Descon will reduce the effect of Unwanted 72 on getting periods. Do not take descon for regularizing your period after unwanted use, it is not advisable.

Better not to take anymore hormonal pills till getting your next period. Take precautions in form of condoms till next periods.

After next period, you could go for copper-T insertion if you are aggreable to it, for future contraception it is safer for you and very effective.

Do not take unwanted 72 repeatedly, as it is a high dose progesterone and not advisable for regular use. One off use is ok, but plan for long term avoidance of pregnancy .

But since you have hypertension, Descon is not advisable for you on long term basis, which is why I would advise you to consider condoms and Copper-t.

Hope this helps.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee