Does ECP and Regestrone need to be taken together post unprotected intercourse?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hi ,

I'm 26years old and have been prescribed regestrone 5mg twice a day to delay my periods as I will be travelling . I would like to know incase of unprotected sex with my partner during these days is it necessary to have an ECP as well or does the regestrone work as an oral contraceptive in these days?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Soumya 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regesterone is not a contraceptive

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Regesterone will not give you contraception. You need to use ECP if necessary.

But if you are nearing due date then your fertile days are over and you may not get pregnant at all.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T