Is Tdap vaccination for parents vital to help protect infants against whooping cough?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I'm told that because I'm a soon to be grandparent that I need to get a flu shot and a Tdap shot. I don't ever get a flu shot....I haven't ever had the flu. The Tdap shot is a combination shot for Tetanus, Diptheria and Pertussis. The only thing that the newborn could get would be Pertussis. CDC say that grandparents need the shot because they may have Pertussis and not know it.....how can a person have whooping cough and not know it ? This all seems like just a way to sell drugs....
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is not accurate

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, this information is not accurate. Actually the newborn should receive vaccination according to the following schedule and not you.
on the first week of age... > vaccination against poliomyelitis
within 2weeks after birth... > bcg vaccination
on 2 months of age.... > DPT vaccine, vaccine aganist poliomyelitis (2nd dose) and Hepatitis A vaccine
on 4 months of age..... > the same as on 2 months of age
on 6 months of age...... > the same as on 2 months of age
on 9 months of age....... > vaccination against poliomyelitis
on 12 months of age..... > MMr vaccine
on 18 months of age...... > MMr vaccine, DPT vaccine
I hope I answered your question
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 10 hours later
So what you're saying is...I don't need to get any of these shots to protect the grandchild from getting the diseases...?? The new grandchild is the one that needs to be put on a schedule to get his or her immunizations....correct ?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Correct

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, yes that is correct. you don't have to get any vaccination. the newborn is the one who should get a vaccination schedule. I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 hours later
I noticed in some things I read that the bcg vaccination is not usually used here in the USA because of the low incidence of TB. Is that true ?? And it also said that the first vaccination for Polio should be given at 2 months and not during the first week...

Just double checking.....
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is used only for newborns at risk in the USA

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, the BCG vaccine is given to about 80% of newborn symptoms world wide according to the national immunization program. The USA immunizes only newborns at risk ( family history of TB) and not all newborns due to low incidence of TB in the USA. the initial dose should be during the first week while a following dose should be at 2 months of age . I hope you find this helpful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng