• question-icon

Is Spironolactone effective at treating hirsutism?

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My dr. prescribed Spironolactone because I have some facial hair, like under chin and my upper lip, I hesitate to take this drug for that ?? I am pretty healthy female 77 yrs of age and only take thyroid meds since my thyroid was removed years ago. I am overweight but no other conditions that I am aware of. Also do u provide scripts for other meds.
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Spironolactone can be very helpful for you.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question.

Hair growing in places where it normally does just for men, like your upper lip or under the chin is a sign of a condition called hirsutism.

It's often caused by genes, hormones, or medication.
Many times, the condition is linked to high levels of male hormones (called androgens).

High levels of male hormones and hirsutism are common in women who have Polycystic ovary syndrome, when you have high levels of the stress hormone cortisol for long periods of time or when you take certain medication like minoxidil or anabolic steroids.

Spironolactone is an Anti-androgen blocker, it helps your body make and use fewer male hormones, so you should grow less hair over time.
This drug is very effective for hirsutism.So, don't hesitate to take it.

On the other side, Vaniqa cream can slow hair growth where you generally apply it.
Don't hesitate to use this cream!

Unfortunately, prescriptions cannot be provided online, sorry for the inconvenience, you may need to get them from your local physician.

I'd also suggest that Weight loss may be very beneficial. If you drop even a few pounds, your body would make fewer male hormones, so as a result, you'd tend to grow less hair on your face.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist