Suggest ayurvedic remedies for insomnia

Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Ayurveda
Question: Hi,
I am suffering from insomnia from last 7-8 months and have started allopathic medicines from last 2 months.
I want to switch to some ayurvedic solution.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further necessary information

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting the Ayurveda section of [A]YUSH and after reviewing your case history, please provide necessary details for further line of treatment and management:

1. Is Insomnia, disease-related or work related?
2. Any undue physical/mental stress?
3. Any emotional or psychological causes [excess anger/grief/worry]?
4. Any environmental causes [work shift, substance/drug abuse]?

Please revert back with above questionnaire, till then preventive aspect can be discussed

1. avoid caffeine found in coffee, tea, chocolate, cola, and some pain relievers
PS. [four to six hours before bedtime.]
2. quiet, dark, and cool environment can help promote sound sleep.
PS. [Use heavy curtains, or an eye mask to block light, and also keeping computers, TVs, and other work materials out of the room will help promote mental bonding between your bedroom and sleep]
3. Avoid stressful, stimulating activities like doing work, discussing emotional issues.
PS. Physically and psychologically stressful activities can cause the body to secrete the stress hormone cortisol, which is associated with increasing alertness.
4. take dinner 2-3 hours before bedtime and avoid foods that cause indigestion. [spicy-heavy- junk food]
5. avoid afternoon napping to prevent late night awakening [ between 2-3 pm is ideal, but that too sitting on a chair while head resting on table]
6. looking at the clock in your bedroom, [when you are trying to fall asleep] can actually increase stress, making it harder to fall asleep. Turn your clock’s face away from you.
7. Principle is to have well-balanced diet with more of proteins and more Calories with exercise, take more of cereals, legumes, daal egg, and eat fresh fruits regularly with sweet pulp like (banana, XXXXXXX chickoos, grapes)
8. take banana, black grapes, orange, spinach, ginger, tomatoes, curd, take a diet rich in vitamin C (Citrus fruits) and vitamin E (sunflower seeds, almonds, apricots, peanuts) which are rich in antioxidants.
9. Lemon juice mixed with sugar in a glass of water helps release stress removing hormones from the body and bring the mind to peace/rest.

Do revert back with your clarifications so that Ayurveda treatment can be initiated.

Dr. Munish Sood
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 2 hours later
Thanks for your advice.
Below are my answers to the questionnaire:

1. Is Insomnia, disease-related or work related? : not work related, i haven't had MRI or CT scan so can't tell whether it is disease related
2. Any undue physical/mental stress? : No
3. Any emotional or psychological causes [excess anger/grief/worry]? : Sometimes i worry but mostly not
4. Any environmental causes [work shift, substance/drug abuse]? : No

Please suggest some ayurvedic treatment as i want to stop allopathic medications due to the side effects i am having.
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medicine aspect

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back

1. As most of the aspects are normal thus if insomnia continues to get worse then seek an opinion of a Neurologist for necessary investigations [if any], till then

i
. Mix 4-5 dates in half glass of water and drink 2 times daily for a month.
. rub castor oil on palms and feet.
. before retiring to bed wash your mouth, head, back of the neck, both ears and legs with cold water.
. make a paste of 'bhang' with cow/goat milk and massage on feet.
. take a glass of XXXXXXX milk at bedtime [best sleep inducer

ii. Not any Ayurvedic remedy will work on your symptoms, [since most of the causes are normal], so we have to manage the mind and after going through your symptoms and the main Dosha [aggravated Prana vayu] which weakness the nervous system and triggers mental imbalance associated with it, I’ve come up with the following formulation which will increase the 'sattva guna':

i. Oil for de-stressing helps reduce muscle tension and stiffness and thereby toning and rejuvenating [360/- for 200 ml]

ii. Medicine to improve stress tolerance, yet maintain good health, by calming your mind, promoting better sleep. [740/- for 60 capsules]

PS. If you are comfortable, I can share my bank details.

Dr. Munish
Naimittika

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Munish Sood 40 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your advice.
I definitely want to start ayurvedic treatment, but after starting ayurvedic treatment do I need to stop allopathic medicines immediately or how should i proceed.

Please share your account number, also let me know how you will be sending the medicines.

Thanks
XXXX
Brief Answer:
go low go slow

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for reverting back

1. As you have started with the medicine, so stopping with the drug won't cause any undue side effect(s) on the health of an individual, or you may gradually decrease the dose [while continuing with the Ayurveda medicine]

PS. As far as Insomnia is concerned thus the time of taking the modern drug is 1 tablet at bedtime, so you can take it every alternate day and when the medicine finishes, stop the drug.

2. Munish Sood
Canara Bank
The Mall, Shimla
A/c No: 0000
IFSC Code: CNRB0000
MICR Code: 0000

PS. I will be sending you the medicine through courier service [either ondot, track on, delhivery], please share your Address

Dr. Munish
Naimittika
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng