• question-icon

Severe sun burn in the legs, purplish, swollen, cannot bend, medicines, water, vinegar baths, no improvement. Suggestions?

my daughter got a severe sunburn on her legs which is now purplish and swollen. she went to the dr and got hydrocortisone and pain meds. this is day 4 and her knees remain swollen to the point she can bearly bend them and is still in fairly sever pain. she is drinking lots of water and taking vinegar baths. how long will the swelling last? should she return to her dr? thanks for your answer
Tue, 30 Oct 2012
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response
Dear finerthanfrogfur,
Apart from the medications she is taking she needs to keep her legs in an elevated position. This can be done by keeping a pillow under her legs while lying down. You also need to start a dispersible type of proteolytic enzyme drug which can help in reducing the swelling. I believe that steroids can be omitted gradually now. If your condition does not improve in another 48 hours you should re visit your doctor.
Dr. Anubhav Gupta