Is Postinor-2 effective in preventing pregnancy?

Posted on Wed, 14 Jun 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hello, after unsafe sex (day 12 in her menstrual cycle) My wife take postinor-2 (pill 1) within 15 minutes after sex. Then she take postinor-2 (pill 2) 12 hour later.

Can she take escaplle the next day after postinor? To double the chances to not pregnant?

Any effect?what the effect?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is not needed.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

There is no need to take another emergency pill in the current scenario since your wife took the doses soon after the intercourse.

The emergency pill contains high doses of progesterone and this causes hormone imbalances and leads to withdrawal bleeding. Also, her next natural period may get delayed by a week or two.

The protection offered by the pill is 98-99% as it was taken very soon. The pill prevents conception by preventing ovulation if not occurred, prevents fertilization if ovulation has already occurred by altering the cervical mucus and making it hostile to the ascending sperms and by preventing implantation if fertilization has occurred by making the endometrial thickness unwelcome.

Hope your query has been clarified. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN