Is Omnacortil safe to take for semi acute thyroditis?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Sir,
I am a diabetic and have been diagnosed with Semi Acute Thyrodities about 6 weeks back. Since I was not getting much relief, my doctor has stared with Omnacortil-60 mg. I'm really afraid of taking steroids because of side effects.

Can you please suggest if this is a right treatment or I may avoid this and allow the desease to settle by itself. Will steroid have to be taken for long period and if yes the potential hazards. Please guide me. I've also started taking additonal dose of insulin to keep the Sugar level under control
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

If such a patient comes to me I usually advice steriod in following condition
-severe pain which is not controlled by ibuprofen/naproxen/narcotics.
-steriods are given for extreme cases.

If at all I advice steroids it would start with 15-20 mg and then taper it over a period of 2 months.

I would suggest you to reconsult your doctor and discuss regarding need for such a high dose. As thyroiditis settles itself in majority over one year or so with permanent hypothroidism in some.

If you start with 60 mg it may take long time to taper and end. Yes they have hazards and many complications . More common which may occur to you are low immunity leading to frequent infection, masking of hyperthyroid symptoms, difficulty in control of sugar levels etc.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 1 hour later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your prompt reply. Having started Omnacortil-60 mg only yesterday i.e. having taken only 2 dosage - do you still recommed either stopping it further or faster taper off?

My pain was not totally unbearable but I had already taken Ibuprofen for almost 10 days but was still having medium intensity pain which used to even disturb my 5-6 hours of total sleep. I also used to get fever everyday in the range of 99.C. in the last 1 week and earlier it used to go upto 100.C to 102.C even.

Can I either stop Omnacortil-60 immediately or go for a faster taper off- Please suggest. Should I also follow any diet restrictions also? I've been advised to avoid common salt and taking general diabetic diet.

Thanks and regards
XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
continue the steroid tablets

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

As your pain is a little on the higher side and there has been fever also, so continue with the same dose as you have already started it.

Take it as prescribed. And I guess as your pain will subside, your doctor will start tapering the drug in 7-10 days. A month long of steroids in tapering dose will not harm you in any way.

Regarding the diet it mainly depends on your thyroid hormone level. If your thyroid hormone level is low then avoid intake of following foods like cabbage,cauliflower, spinach, beans etc. If your thyroid level is more the same food needs be taken. These food mainly helps in reducing thyroid hormone level.

Irrespective of thyroid hormone level you should avoid caffiene and alcohol . Avoid iron supplements in the form of tablets or foods like jaggery etc

For good functioning of thyroid you need to take faxseed or its oil, high protein diet like cereals , chicken, soya etc. Take Multivitamin in the form of tablet or fresh fruits . Continue salt and sugar free diet.

Hope I have been helpful.

Dr. Deepika Patil