• question-icon

Is Hemp oil advisable for a diabetic?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Diabetes
Question: hello my name is XXXXXXX and I am a diabetic. I recently started using hemp oil and as far as the diabetes goes I was crashing a lot because no one could tell me how much to use. well after a lot of crashing I finally get straiten myself out but I need more info I am still having some issues and no one here where I live in florida seems to know anything.

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About hemp oil:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
Hemp oil is an abundant source of alpha-linolenic acid. Alpha-linolenic acid is an omega-3 fatty acid that is essential to proper organ function. It is similar to the omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil, and can help prevent heart disease, arthritis and depression. It can also help reduce low density lipoprotein cholesterol, the "bad" cholesterol that clogs arteries.
Hemp oil is comprised of 25 percent protein, this high-quality protein provides amino acids in ratios similar to the protein in meats and eggs. The structure of hemp oil proteins makes them easily digestible. Compared to other oils, hemp oil provides the protein and amino acids the body needs without adding unnecessary calories.
So, having these beneficial effects, it may be suggested to be used by diabetic patients.
The daily recommended allowance of hemp seed oil is 14-28 ml (1 to 2 tablespoons). This allowance provides between 8 and 16 grams of Omega 6 and between 3 and 6 grams of Omega 3.
Hope the information will help,
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni 1 hour later
I wanted info on diabetes not my cholesterol. Im on insulin and what doses should I take for my sugars I have pretty much straightened myself out but I want to know how much hemp oil I should be taking I need a doctor who deals with diabetes
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
About Diabetes treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Hemp oil does not have a direct effect in blood sugar, it helps with the above mentioned mechanism in improving metabolic disorders that coexist with Diabetes.
To give information about the insulin doses, many information are needed;
-Your BMI, your insulin regime (what types of insulins are you using and how many injections per day), the insulin doses, actual HbA1c and glucose levels (fasting, before and after meals), the total calorie intake and it's distribution during the day, the physical activity ect.
So, a physician together with a dietitian are usually needed to help you normalise the glucose levels by increasing/decreasing the insulin doses and modify the life style, if it is needed.
The doses of hemp oil recommended are mentioned above, your lipid profile will be needed to give a more precise information.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist