Is Duexis intake safe for arthritis pain when suffering from gastritis?

Question
Dear Dr. Grief:
I wonder if you think a drug like Duexis or Vimovo can help patients that have pain (in arthritis) but can't tolerate the GI side effects of ibuprofen or naproxen?

I think the drug is much more expensive than buying just the OTC pills of the two components separately. In your experience, is the cost worth the benefit?

Thanks!

XXXX
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Prasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
I shall give you some alternatives...

Detailed Answer:

Gastritis, ulcer and acid reflux are the two most common GI side effects of NSAID pain killer drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen. The alternatives you suggested (Duexis or vimova) contains H2 antagonist and proton pump inhibitors (PPI) respectively; these agents lowers stomach acid secretions thereby preventing/controlling acid peptic disease and acid reflux. Therefore to answer your question, yes its worthwhile to used PPI + pain killer combination.

However in my patients I prefer to use the two ingredients separately. Both PPI and H2 antagonist drugs are better absorbed in a fasting state. Therefore I suggest my patients to use it an hour before food. Pain killers can be used half an hour after food. Moreover one of PPI agent (omeprazole) is available over the counter as Prilosec OTC and less expensive; you may try it before switching to other agents.

I also suggest patients with arthritis to try physiotherapy and physical exercise after discussing with your treating doctor. It will be an add on treatment to pain killers.

Hope this helps you XXXXXXX Let me know if you need clarifications.