• question-icon

Is Cipro an effective medication for diverticulitis?

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Bad side effects from Flagyl for diverticultis. Can Cipro be effective alone?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations.

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Ideally diverticulitis is tricky with a combination of antibiotics including Flagyl.

It sounds like you're having some side effects of the Flagyl which are making it difficult for you to complete this regimen.

I would suggest you contact your doctor to talk about possibly changing the frequency with which you were taking this particular antibiotic. perhaps your doctor could have you take it twice daily in combination with the Cipro.

Cipro alone may be effective but is less optimal for definitive treatment.

Thanks again for sending your question. Again please contact your doctor to discuss continued management.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist