• question-icon

Is C-reactive protein value of 2.85 a cause for concern?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 58 year female. I have high colesteral controlled by Lipitor. I have had arthritis increasing as I age. In 2005 I had plaque psoriasis come up in only 2 places. In January 2016 I had a severe reaction to nicotine patches and eveidently had a psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis episode with severe wollen joints and read hot spots. Psorisis became 5 times what I had. Treated with predisone and in remission. Had C-reactive protein test at first was 2.85 and last month an inflamed elbow which is reasisstant to treatment and new C-reactive protein test went to 4.11. Systoms of arthritis when not in remission point to rheumatoid but factor is only 8.God, anyway what is likely indicator of elevated c-reactive, heart disease or psoriasis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be psoriatic arthritis.

Detailed Answer:
The raised C- reactive protein is suggestive of ongoing inflammation. The rheumatoid factor at 8 and your symptoms are more in favor of psoriatic arthritis. This is not likely to be due to heart disease.
In addition to the prednisolone and pain killers that you are already taking doing a hot compress of the affected joints and regular physiotherapy will be helpful in decreasing the pain and restoring the joint movements.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon