Is Folitrax advisable to treat psoriasis in a 72 year old?
Methotrexate is a good choice for psoriasis
Thank you for asking.
I am Dr Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
Folitrax is methotrexate which is a commonly prescribed medicine for moderately widespread to widespread plaque psoriasis. The dose of methotrexate varies from 7.5mg to 15mg once a week.
Perhaps your doctor has started you on a test dose (i.e 2.5mg) and is going to increase the dose. Methotrexate is a very effective and safe option for treatment of plaque psoriasis.
Nevertheless, it requires lab monitoring of complete blood count (CBC) and liver function tests (LFT) during treatment as it can have a suppressive effect on bone marrow function and being a hepatotoxic drug it should be used cautiously in those with already deranged liver function or elderly who may have compromised liver function.
So to summarize it is effective in psoriasis and safe to use but it should be used judiciously and requires monitoring of lab parameters like CBC and LFTs.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- How to treat hair psoriasis
- Psoriasis on 2 year old
- Treat scalp psoriasis naturally
- How safe is folitrax for scalp and skin psoriasis
- Folitrax 15mg treating of psoriasis
- Treat psoriasis penis calcipotriol
- Treating psoriasis on butt cheeks
- Scalp psoriasis in 2 year olds
- Creams to treat psoriasis
- How to treat scalp psoriasis