Is Folitrax advisable to treat psoriasis in a 72 year old?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi.My doctor has advised to take Folitrax 2.5 mg for Psoriasis treatment. She is 72 year old. Is it advised to have this medicine. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Methotrexate is a good choice for psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking.
I am Dr Kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Folitrax is methotrexate which is a commonly prescribed medicine for moderately widespread to widespread plaque psoriasis. The dose of methotrexate varies from 7.5mg to 15mg once a week.

Perhaps your doctor has started you on a test dose (i.e 2.5mg) and is going to increase the dose. Methotrexate is a very effective and safe option for treatment of plaque psoriasis.

Nevertheless, it requires lab monitoring of complete blood count (CBC) and liver function tests (LFT) during treatment as it can have a suppressive effect on bone marrow function and being a hepatotoxic drug it should be used cautiously in those with already deranged liver function or elderly who may have compromised liver function.

So to summarize it is effective in psoriasis and safe to use but it should be used judiciously and requires monitoring of lab parameters like CBC and LFTs.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee