Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Irregular heart beats, have calcium build up. Stress test clear. Should I go for nuclear test?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1306 Questions
Hi im a 42 yr old male that had a irregular heartbeat of 185 and had a conversion but still feel weird heart beats sometimes.
I had a stress test & it came back normal now im looking to have a nuclear stress test because im scared but my cardiologist thinks that I will not have a heart attack I had a healthy heart scan & it was in the 500 range and said I had calcium buildup would you recommend a nuclear stress test to get a clear picture of any problems
I feel great during the day when im during my 3.5 mile walk etc I have no problems but at night when I sleep I have weird chest beats.
I take pacerone and was thinking my heart rate may be to low it goes from 48 to 51 bpm usually at rest.
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Sir
Welcome to HeathcareMagic,

1. I guess you got Atrial fibrillation (irregular heartbeat of 185) and you are presently taking paceron (amiodarone) for the same.
2. Your cardiac scan (hopefully ECHO) was healthy or normal.
3. You had a normal stress test.
4. You do not feel any problem during your walk of 3.5 miles.
5. You feel weird heart beats at times.

Can you answer a few questions:
A. Technically was it diagnosed as Atrial fibrillation only?
B. By "scan" you mean ECHO only? What was the stress test done?
C. What is the Dose of paceron that you are taking? Are you taking any other medicine?

If one of your stress test is normal (without any doubts), then there is no point in getting another stress test (nuclear stress test) done.
Your cardiologist is right in telling that since your one stress test is normal you do not have a significant blockade as yet.
Weird Heart beats can have multiple forms but most commonly they are premature contractions. You may get a holter monitor after discussing with your cardiologist to know the exact rhythm. If you do not have any bothersome symptoms because of them, you can wait for results of holter to decide further treatment for it.

Please do write to me about the questions I asked, I will be glad to discuss further.
Sukhvinder XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor