Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Intermittent chest pain and ear pain. US showed no heart blockage. Have TKR and knee OA. What to check?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2543 Questions
Intermittent upper right chest pain with associated left ear pain. Sometimes both ears are involved. Lasts for 5-7 minutes and always when I am sedentary or walking slowly. Not after eating. Over last 6 years about 2-4 episodes per year. Ultrasound with XXXXXXX shows 0 blockages in heart vessels. 57 year old female with TKR and acute on chonic OA in other knee. No gall bladder. Kidney stone removed 2 years ago. My dr doesn't know what to check.
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. If cardiac, respiratory and musculo-skeletal causes have been ruled out, a source of intermittent chest pain and ear pain may be acid reflux.

2. Get an ear drum examination, a PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiometry) done. If all these are normal, then your ear pain is due to a referred pain due to the varied nerve supply of the ear. If your tests are abnormal then allergy or sinusitis.

3. Acid reflux may present as GERD (Gastro Esopageal Reflux Disease) or LPR (Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux). Have you ever experienced the chest pain without ear pain or vice versa?

4. Esophageal Manometry and FEES (Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing) or FEESST (Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing with Sensory Testing) may be done.

5. You may follow up with the examination findings and the results of these investigations here.

6. I must emphasize that since you have only 2-4 episodes a year, it will be better to do these tests during such an episode. It may be interesting to note that a few episodes of acid reflux may also occur in normal individuals in a day.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor