Increasing joint and muscle pain after an electric shock, weakness in the hand. Emergency?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: 2 days ago I received an electric shock while plugging in a light at my house. The initial stinging and tingling went away in about 3 hours. However, I have been noticing increasing joint and muscle pain on the right side of my body, the side that the shock occured on. It initially started out with my shoulder feeling sore and now my rotator cuff hurts, my right hand is feeling weak and my hip and knee hurt on my right side as well. It also feels as though I do not have great motor control of my right hand.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Your symptoms are related to nerve conduction problem after an electric shock.
Most of the times, such symptoms do improve spontaneously over 2-3 weeks. Taking mild pain killer like acetaminophen along with methylcobalamin supplements will help in providing you relief.
In case the symptoms are persistent then a detailed clinical evaluation by a neurologist is needed to assess the extent of damage.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.